Why Do We Do It?
April 24th, 2011 by kmack

Another QRP To The Field is in the books. Some may wonder why we do it…why spend the time and energy to take our rigs outdoors and operate? Guess if you have never done it, you will never know! The weather made things tough for many parts of the country, but it was sure sweet to live in Florida for this one. Sunny and a warm 87F with a bit of breeze down by the lake made my day a very special one.

K4UPG QRPTTF 2011 Site

K4UPG QRP TTF Lake Fredrica 2011

The bands were fair to poor, but who cared? I was enjoying my hobby, making a few contacts, giving out points to the more serious contesters and spending time in the outdoors. It is a bunch of fun to make contacts with 2 watts and change, use a straight key and launch an antenna up about 35-40 feet in the pine trees.

Between QSO’s the ospreys provided some entertainment as they swooped down into the lake to snag a fish for their dinner while 4 guys on jet skis raced around our little lake. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. That’s why I do it! How about you?

• Mike writes:
    April 25th, 20119:00 amat

Good morning Kelly, sounds like it was a great time had by all. The weather of 87F is but a pipe dream up this way. Last week we had snow…it did not stay but still this is April after all. Once the warmer weather finally makes it’s way up here I will be taking my KX1 on some road trips.

April 25th, 201110:03 amat

Hi Mike!
    Sorry it was messy up your way! We are experiencing warmer than normal temps here and a bit too dry which can create a fire hazard. Just took my morning walk and stopped by the lake to see a pair of Cooper’s Hawks sitting near the shoreline. I watched them for about 15 minutes before getting back to my exercise! Life is good in Orlando! Will be listening for you in the days ahead.

Kelly K4UPG PB #173

• Gary Hughes writes:
    April 25th, 201110:13 amat

Hi, I enjoyed reading about your outdoor adventures. I’ve just started going portable, about 6 months ago. I’m using a Buddipole antena with Ft857. Wonder what your set up is.

NX8L near Cincinnati

April 25th, 201110:28 amat

Hi Gary!
    Great to hear from you. I am a QRP op and use a Sierra transceiver (about 2-2.5 watts out) that I built from a kit with a variety of antennas. I’m a big antenna tweak and love trying new options and playing with tuners as you can probably see from my site. I have a Buddistick that has done very well for me and have used it a good bit when I am at the beach. Even mounted on my Alice Pack frame as pedestrian mobile it does well when you combine it with the saltwater reflector! I tend to go with my 88ft doublet fed with 300 ohm line and tuned with a Hendricks BLT+ tuner. We’re blessed with some 40-60 ft pine trees at a nearby lake and I like to hang out and watch the water, wildlife and people as I play radio. I also use a variety of End Fed Half Wave antennas for quick up and down ops. My loops and W3EDP are always with me too and are forced into action when I need a change of pace.

I too am a United Methodist although my ordination is not with the UMC, we are members of the Pine Castle UMC here in Orlando. I teach the Vineyard Sunday School class and my wife and I serve on the Church Council and ACTS 1:8 Mission Team. We have been missionaries since 1988 and served overseas in Indonesia teaching in a seminary we helped to start. You can see some of that side of our life on our personal blog

We are originally from Central Indiana and know your area fairly well from travel and friends. I’ve preached in the Dayton and Columbus area several times. You are ideally located for the big show at Dayton next month!

Blessings and many QSO’s to ya. Hope to meet ya on the air before long.

Kelly K4UPG PB #173

• Alex writes:
    May 2nd, 20117:28 pmat

Kelly,
    Why we operate portable at the Lake, out in the country side or in a park can be summed up in 3 words, “because it’s Fun.” Of course runnning Qrp makes it double the fun. Who were those two chewing gum girls, double your pleasure, double your fun etc etc ???
    In week 4 of my left hip replacement recovery and I am going bonkers in the house. The storms dropped my wire antenna or I’d be qrp’ing from the house. Can’t wait for the hip surgeon to expamd my mobility to the great outdoors cause I’ll be out at the lake with 1/2 wave wire antlers and 817!!!GGRRrrr!

Best 73/72 Alex K5uny

May 2nd, 20118:56 pmat

Alex,
    Wish you were closer to me. I’d hang some wire fer ya!

Get well and back on your feet! We miss your sigs on the PB weekends.

PB #173